Last week I found myself stuck on a road on a lonely California highway in need of a flashlight. (Let’s not look at the circumstances too closely, shall we?)
In less than a minute I was able to download a Flashlight app to my smartphone and light my way. Less than a minute to get a necessary tool in the middle of nowhere.
- Your car breaks down and you need a tire patch or a spare part. The car manufacturer will provide the STL file to make sure you get the exact part you need.
- You’re on your mountain bike on a trail and need a chain link.
- You’re rock climbing and need a specific carabiner.
- You’re a doctor performing emergency orthopedic surgery and need a bone screw in a very specific size.
- You’re stranded in the Amazonian jungle and need a mosquito net. (OK, it may be far-fetched to have a printer and raw materials available in that situation.)
- Or frivolously, you’re at the beach and need a jigger.